Assistant Professor, Music Director
NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
FULL-TIME ACADEMIC YEAR POSITION
POSITION: Assistant Professor, Music Director
DEPARTMENT: Ira Brind School of Theater Arts - The University of the Arts
DESCRIPTION: The Ira Brind School of Theater Arts, under the new leadership of Joanna Settle, Director, is a thriving undergraduate professional training program offering BFA degrees in performance, directing, playwriting, production (DPP) and theater design and technology to almost 300 students, has an opening for a full-time faculty member to music-direct productions, coach and accompany students, and teach related courses in its acclaimed musical theater program.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The faculty member in this position will play a key role in achieving excellence in musical performance in the Brind School. This faculty member will:
• Oversee or serve as musical director for Brind School productions, acting as accompanist for rehearsals, auditions and performances when appropriate.
• Teach courses in musicianship, including theory and ear training.
• Participate in recruiting and auditioning incoming students for the program, which will entail some Saturday auditions and possible occasional travel.
• Participate in the preparation of the Brind School's Senior Showcase.
• Liaise across the University to facilitate interdisciplinary collaborations.
• Teach other courses, depending on expertise, that will support and enhance the educational mission of the University.
• Advise students and participate fully in all aspects of professional academic life within the Brind School and the University. This faculty member will report to the Head of Musical Theater, the Director of the School of Theater Arts and the Dean of the College of Performing Arts.
REQUIREMENTS: A degree in appropriate area of academic specialty, e.g., Musical Theater, Music Directing, Accompanying, Conducting, or equivalent. Professional experience as music director, coach and accompanist is required. Proficiency with current technology is essential. Prior teaching experience at the undergraduate level highly preferred.
An adventurous approach to Musical Theater is essential, multi instrumentalist is a plus.
RANK: Assistant Professor (three-year appointment, reviewed for renewal during second year of appointment)
AVAILABILITY: September 2014
TO APPLY: Qualified applicants should submit letter of application and CV or resume and three professional references to: Brind Music Director Search, c/o Catherine Logan, The University of the Arts, 320 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102. For full consideration applications are requested by February 14, 2014; the position will remain open until filled.
The University of the Arts is an ADA, Equal Opportunity Employer committed to encouraging diversity among its faculty, staff and students. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.