Director of the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts
FULL TIME CALENDAR YEAR
POSITION: Director of the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts
DEPARTMENT: Ira Brind School of Theater Arts, College of Performing Arts
Reporting directly to the Dean, the Director of the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts functions as both the School’s senior academic leader and as its producing artistic director. The Director is responsible for the educational, artistic and administrative activities of the School. Including: the content and direction of the curriculum, the training, and its delivery; the student experience; the management of the School’s faculty and staff, the artistic direction and content of the season and all affiliated budgets, both academic and artistic.
The University of the Arts is one of the largest comprehensive private institutions of higher education centered in the arts in the United States. Its undergraduate and graduate programs prepare students for more than 150 professional career paths in the visual, performing, media, design and communication arts, and related fields. Honoring the traditions of the disciplines it teaches, the University stimulates creative exploration, innovation, and intellectual investigation while recognizing the potential for interaction among the arts. Committed to lifelong education and the advancement of the Arts in our society, the University serves as an educational and creative resource of the arts community, activities and organizations. Its instruction and related research, production and service activities are designed to foster artistic excellence.
The Ira Brind School of Theater Arts is housed in the College of Performing Arts along with the School of Dance and the School of Music. The combined enrollment for the College of Performing Arts is approximate 900 students with approximately 250 students in the School of Theater. Geographically located prominently on the Avenue of the Arts in Center City Philadelphia the College has seven performance spaces ranging from 60 to 1800 seats.
In recognition of the University’s Academic and Strategic Plan and the recommendations that support a commitment to the spirit of experimentation and invention in the education of young artists and designers, the new Director of the School of Theater will be expected to lead the school’s faculty in artistic and academic innovation and change. The hallmarks of the Academic and Strategic Plan include greater opportunity for collaborative learning and encouragement of our faculty and students to interrogate the conventions and boundaries that underpin disciplinary traditions.
- To provide academic and artistic leadership for the faculty, staff and students of the School
- To define the direction of and coordinate the content of the School curricula in discussion with the School Faculty
- To ensure all new program developments in the school align with the mission of the School and the University’s Academic and Strategic Plan and build on and extend the School’s strengths
- To work collaboratively and collegially with the Directors of the School of Music and the School of Dance
- To build positive and productive relationships with the School Directors in the School of Art, Media and Design as well as the Division of Liberal Arts
- To ensure fair and consistent assessment of student work across the School
- To contribute to the development and delivery of a teaching and learning strategy for the School
- To assume the lead on the effective assessment of student learning outcomes for the School
- To assume the lead in the recruitment, appointment, evaluation and promotion of faculty and staff in the school
- To ensure all University policies and procedures are adhered to and followed
- To work closely with the other School Directors and the Dean of the College to ensure that there is a coherent, integrated and interdisciplinary spectrum of artistic and academic activity with the Schools, College and University
- To represent the School or University on committees and groups as required
- In conjunction with the Dean of the College, manage the School budgets
- Contribute to the recruitment strategies and activities for new students for the School and the College
- Promote the School, College and University and establish relationships with artistic and non-artistic communities and entities in Philadelphia, the region, nationally and internationally
- Work as part of a team in interaction with other University administrative offices and personnel (e.g. Enrollment Management, Admissions, Finance, Facilities, Student Affairs, etc) in order to contribute to the effective operation of the School, College and University
- To perform other tasks and responsibilities as may be required from time to time
QUALIFICATIONS: Professional experience in an area relevant to the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts is required. An advanced or terminal degree (MFA, or Ph.D.) in a relevant field is strongly preferred. Applicants should be able to demonstrate academic leadership and teaching experience that would warrant an appointment at the rank of Full Professor. Applicants should also be able to demonstrate a breath and depth of artistic experience and knowledge in an area relevant to the School.
The successful candidate will be:
- Deeply, profoundly and personally connected with the contemporary theater/performance art forms
- Professionally connected to the field nationally and internationally
- An entrepreneurial and innovative leader who can bring a strong knowledge of the current trends in theater and performing arts to bear on the education and training of young artists
TO APPLY: Applicants should send a letter of application, CV and the contact information for four professional references to:
Director Search, Ira Brind School of Theater Arts
The University of the Arts
College of Performing Arts
Office of the Dean
320 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Or via email to: email@example.com
Applications received by January 18th will receive full consideration. The search will remain open until position is filled.