Substance Abuse Education Instructions
Each year, the University of the Arts requires each member of the first-year class to complete an online, interactive program aimed at helping students think critically about their activities and behaviors. The AlcoholEdu for College course is more than about alcohol- it discusses good decision making on alcohol, marijuana, and sexual interactions. Coming to college is a new experience filled with lots of tough decisions. This course has been designed as part of a larger piece of wellness education to help students as they begin to make good decisions.
As we want all students to succeed, this is a requirement. Failure to complete the course(s) is considered a violation of the University's Student Code of Conduct and will result in a $250 fine. Instructions for completing AlcoholEdu for College are outlined in detail below, as well as a Troubleshooting Guide for problems with AlcoholEdu for College.
Please Note: Transfers and Graduate students are NOT required to complete these programs.
Confidentiality: All survey responses are strictly confidential- the school will only receive information about the student body as a whole and will never see individual students' responses. Students can feel confident that providing truthful answers- no matter what they may be- will not put them at any risk for repercussion.
For more information about each of these programs checkout the AlcoholEdu for College.
- AlcoholEdu for College Instructions (Part I)
- AlcoholEdu for College Instructions (Part II)
- Troubleshooting guide: AlcoholEdu
- AlcoholEdu for Parents
- Between August 23, 2012 and September 21, 2012, click on the AlcoholEdu login site. (This link is located as an icon on your personal laptop).
- Under New User, enter the following Login ID: C215105A.
- Click "Sign Up."
- On the registration page, you willhave the opportunity to create your AlcoholEdu for College account using your email address and a password of your choice. It is advisable to use the same username and password you use for the UArts portal. You will also need to ente your 7 digit Student ID number, which you will find on your Student ID card. You will need to enter your official Student ID in order to get credit for the course.
- At the conclusion of the course you will need to to take the completion test. Students need to get a 75% to passthe course and receive credit. Students will need to then take Survey 2.
- You may log in and out of the course at the end of each section. Section ends are marked with a "Next" button. DO NOT log out until you click the "Next" button or you will have to repeat the section you just completed.
- Approximately 30 days after the completion of Part I, you will receive an email asking you to complete Part II, which must be completed by Friday, November 2, 2012.
- When you return, log in as a "Returning User" being sure to enter the same email address and password that you created when you first logged into the course.
|DO have the minimum system requirements installed: Flash 8.0 or higher and Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari. AlcoholEdu is not compatible with the AOL browser.||DO NOT use the "Back" button on your brower.|
|DO click the "Next" button at the end of each section to save your progress.||DO NOT have other browser windows open.|
|DO DISABLE all pop-up blockers and uninstall any toolbars. These can cause problems with the media files and cause them to loop over and over.||DO NOT play music or run other video clips on your computer while taking the course (CDs, MP3s, Facebook, MySpace, other Web sites, etc).|
If you experience difficulty:
- Go to MyAlcoholEdu and choose "Audio Only" on the Course Settings page.
- Try another browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox).
- If using wireless, connect directly to the Internet for a faster connection.
- Restart your computer.
- Use another computer.
- Try a different Internet connection (i.e. school lab or library, home, friends). If using dial-up, find a faster connection (Broadband, DSL, Ethernet).
- Try a different time of day (i.e. not during peak hours).
DOs and DON'Ts for taking the EXAM
|DO take the exam in one sitting - If you log out during the Exam, the course will assume you are complete and assign a grade.||DO NOT have other applications or browsers open with course review information. This may cause errors with your Exam score.|
|DO contact the Student Online Technical Support Center at (866) 384-9062 if you experience a problem with the Exam.||DO NOT use the "Back" button on your brower.|
Should you experience any difficulties or require support, the AlcoholEdu Online Technical Support Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Simply click on the "Technical Help" button located in the upper right-hand corner of every AlcoholEdu for College screen. You do not need to be logged into the course to access the Help Site or you can call their toll free number at 1-866-384-9062. If you have questions about the University of the Arts implementation of AlcoholEdu, please feel free to contact th Dean of Students' office at 215-717-6617.
AlcoholEdu for Parents
AlcoholEdu for Parents is an online program, similar to the course your students take, designed to support your conversations about alcohol that will help shape the decisions your student must make in college surrounding substance use.
The program includes:
- A brief introduction and suggestions on the best way to start conversations about alcohol (15 min).
- An overview of the AlcoholEdu for College course structure and key concepts (5 min).
- Direct access to AlcoholEdu for College, in an easy-to-use format that allows you to navigate freely from chapter to chapter (approx. 3 hours).
- Helpful resources, such as tips on talking to your college student about alcohol, fact sheets on alcohol’s effect on the brain, how alcohol impairs learning and memory, and more.
To take AlcoholEdu for Parents, you will need a computer with Internet access and audio capabilities.
- Go to: parents.alcoholedu.com
- Please review the minimum technical requirements available at the bottom of the AlcoholEdu for Parents login page.
- Under New User enter the following Login ID for PARENTS ONLY: P215105PARENT
IMPORTANT: Do NOT share this Web site and Login ID with your son/daughter as he/she will not receive credit for course completion under this account.
4. Click “Sign Up” and follow the on-screen prompts.
5. When you return, log in as a Returning User and enter the same email address and password you created when you first logged into the course.
Should you experience any difficulties or require support, the AlcoholEdu Online Technical Support Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Simply click on the “Technical Help” button located in the upper right-hand corner of every AlcoholEdu for Parents screen. You do not need to be logged into the course to access the Technical Support Center.